PROGRAM in ROME, ITALY
The Notre Dame de Sion Centre for Biblical Formation in Jerusalem invites you to join us for a new in-person course to celebrate our 40th anniversary!
Accommodation - Casa Maria Immacolata, Rome
This unique study-tour will combine intensive study of key New Testament texts with the opportunity to explore the rich, complex history of Rome’s Jewish and Christian communities, and how they have been interacting for nearly 2000 years. . There will be study time focused on portions of the Book of Acts and on selected texts of St. Paul’s letters to root us in our Christian faith.
It will include input from leading Jewish and Christian scholars and community leaders, and guided tours of some of Rome’s best known(and least known!) monuments and sites, including:
● The Vatican, including St. Peter’s Basilica, the Vatican Necropolis (Scavi), Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel
● The area of the former Jewish Ghetto, Rome’s main synagogue and the museum of Roman Jewish history and culture
● The historic Trastevere neighbourhood of Rome (the original home to Rome’s Jewish community)
● Some of Rome’s most ancient and fascinating churches (San Clemente, Santa Maria Maggiore, St. Paul’s-Outside-the-Walls, San Gregorio della Divina Pieta (the “Church of the Forced Sermons”)
● The Roman Forum … and much more!
This study tour will help participants to appreciate Jewish-Christian relations in Rome (both ancient and modern), as well as the crucial role played by St. Paul in the early development of Christianity (especially in Rome). It will also allow opportunities for individual exploration of the Eternal City, its monuments, neighbourhoods, and cuisine.
This program has limited space. This program is full!